Flying Goat Farm has two seasonal positions available right now! What a great chance to get involved with an amazing farm.
Seasonal Dairy Farm Position: Cheesemaking
Flying Goat Farm is looking for an Assistant Cheesemaker for our 2016 production season. We will begin cheesemaking in late April and continue to increase production through the end of May. Our production season lasts through Thanksgiving when we dry off our does. Assistant Cheesemaker duties occupy approximately up to 15-20 hours per week during peak production. Weekend and evening flexibility during the transition period of March through May is a plus, but schedule should be steady once the season’s routine is established. Compensation is $15/hr
Flying Goat Farm is a licensed creamery in Acton, Maine. We will be milking 26 does in 2016 and expect to be producing approximately 140-150lbs of cheese weekly. Our customers include local farmers’ markets as well as locally owned and operated grocery stores and restaurants.
* Successful applicant will be trained in all aspects of cheesemaking.
* Sterile technique for handling dairy products
* Pasteurization process and documentation
* Cheesemaking procedures for different types of cheese
* Maintenance of aging cheeses
* Packaging, labeling, logging inventory for all dairy products
* Filling orders for wholesale customers
* Filling and logging cooler contents for farmers’ market days
Be interested in a commitment through the milking season which lasts from March through November
Be punctual, reliable, observant and detail oriented
Be able to lift a 5 gallon pail of water (50lbs) repeatedly
Be interested in the processes involved in operating a farmstead creamery
Be interested in and committed to the local food movement in New England
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, three references that we may contact and a cover letter describing your interest in this position.
Seasonal Dairy Farm Position: Farmers’ Market Sales (Southern ME/NH)
Flying Goat Farm is looking for 2 or more individuals to man our farmers’ market tables at various markets through the year. Successful applicants will be friendly, patient, and willing to learn about what we do at our farm in order to communicate effectively and answer customer questions at markets. We will provide on the job training and a 3 to 4 market trial period to ensure you are a fit for our markets. Availability on Saturday mornings is a must. Total hours per week, approximately 6-12 per position. Compensation: $10/hr
* Pick up of all farmers’ market supplies at the farm the morning of market.
* Transportation of all market supplies to market location, set up and breakdown of table and running sales in between.
* Answering questions and communicating with customers in a friendly manner while facilitating sales.
* Security of cash box, point of sale equipment, market supplies and product during working hours.
* Return of all market supplies and unsold product directly after market close.
Successful Applicants Will:
Hold a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Be friendly and customer oriented
Be punctual, detail oriented, reliable and observant
Have an interest in and commitment to supporting the local food movement
Be interested in all aspects of running a farmstead creamery business
Please email@example.com with your resume, three references and a brief cover letter describing your interest in this position.