CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture and is an opportunity for customers to develop a close relationship with an individual farm while gaining a share in the farm’s harvest.
Community Supported Agriculture or CSA is a partnership between consumers and farmers in which members buy shares of the farm’s harvest and enjoy regular allotments of food throughout the growing season. For farmers, this provides much needed cash flow for the beginning of the season, as well as a ready market and community of supporters. Shareholders join in the risks of the growing season but reap the benefits of the harvest. Each CSA farm has its own pricing structure, disbursement schedule, and some have work requirements. Signups for CSA shares begin in early winter by directly contacting the farm.
Is a CSA right for you?
- Do you like to eat lots of fresh vegetables?
- Are you interested in trying new things?
- Do you cook at home at least 4 times a week?
Questions to ask the farmers:
- How much produce is in a share?
- What vegetables (and fruits) are to be expected?
- How many weeks is the share for?
- When and where are shares picked up or delivered?
- Are the shares pre-packed, or do members pack their own
- What type of payment schedule is expected?
- What happens if a pick-up is missed?
- Does the CSA offer extra add-ons (eggs, dairy, meat, seafood, flowers)?
- Is there a volunteer work requirement?
- How long has the CSA been running?
Why Join a CSA?
- support a local farm
- get know the people who grow your food
- eat fresh, nutritious food
- eat seasonally
- get introduced to new foods
- learn more about your food and how it is grown
- invest in local agriculture and responsible farming practices
- reduce fossil fuel consumption used in food transport
- feel good about your food choices
The following farms are offering CSA’s for the 2018 season. Please contact farms directly for more information. A complete list of all farms offering CSA shares is also available through Seacoast Harvest, including descriptions of each of their offerings and programs.
- Applecrest Farm Orchards: 20 weeks of fresh fruits and veggies from early June to end October. All members receive 15% off all purchases at our Farm Market and Creamery.
- Bartlett Farm Services: Large variety of vegetables, beets to zucchini. Jcbartlett3@comcast.net
- Brandmoore Farm: 18 week, organic, vegetable CSA starting mid-June and runs through October. This is the 7th year of our CSA program! The pickup is at the farm in Rollinsford on Tuesday or Thursday pickup from 3-6pm. Meat shares also available. Flowers from OmniFlora Farm (Tues/Thurs) and Bread (Friday Pickup) from Embers Bakery available! We are also a pickup location for NH Community Supported Fisheries.
- Brookford Farm: 613 acres Certified Organic Farm with a year round CSA program including vegetable, meat, eggs, dairy, and lactofermented vegetables.
- Clyde Farm: 18 Week Certified Organic Egg Share, $210 Certified Organic Pastured Chicken Credit, and a 10 week Flower Share available as an add-on to a Stout Oak Farm CSA.
- Heron Pond Farm: Year round veggie options with community activities.
- Hurd Farm: 10lb or 20lb CSA option that includes various cuts of beef, pork and poultry. It is all naturally raised meat, the healthier choice for you and your family. The pick up is once a month, each CSA season is for 6 months and the Summer CSA also includes a fresh turkey in November.
- Kellie Brook Farm: You chose, free style CSA. $200 share. $400 share. $600 share. Kellie Brook Farm debit cards.
- New England Fishmongers: we are a group of jig fishermen who operate the F/V Finlander and sell our fish directly to consumers and restaurants. We sell the catch from our boat as well as other fishermen and harvesters.
- New Roots Farm: Our Summer’s Bounty Share includes all of the best organic vegetables that summer has to offer. Our 12 week program focuses on the crops that we New Englander’s eagerly await for 9 months out of the year. Tomatoes fresh off the vine, sweet red and yellow peppers, tender baby summer squash, zucchini, and cucumbers, sugar snap peas…
- NH Community Seafood: A CSF is like a CSA farm share, but for seafood. When you buy a share, you’re not only getting the freshest possible fish and seafood, you’re supporting a cooperative that helps New Hampshire’s fisheries, guarantees fisherman a fair price, and keeps money within our local economy.
- Omniflora Farm: Enjoy fresh, local flowers all season long with our cut flower CSA! Let us provide you with inspiring specialty blooms to brighten your home or work space, or consider a share for a unique and memorable gift. We offer several options for every desire and budget: all sustainably grown and honoring the diverse seasonality of the greater seacoast region.
- Orange Circle Farm: Our CSA consists of 19 weekly pickups beginning in early June. Four different pickup times/locations are available. Each week’s share consists of a mindfully composed variety of 8-12 items.
- Phil’s Farm: CSA offers 20 weeks of fresh vegetables that exceed a weekly value of $30. Each week, you’ll go home with two tote bags full of produce- enough to tide you over until the next week’s harvest.
- Riverside Farm: Our CSA is a pick and choose your own anytime during normal business hour. 7 days a week 9am to 6pm.
- Sandy Hill Farm: We offer free delivery in the seacoast area if signed up by March 1st. Each weeks CSA includes fresh fruits and vegetables picked that day. Flowers are included in season and fresh cut herbs on demand.
- Short Creek Farm: In our Pastured Pork CSA, we offer three size shares to choose from and then shares are distributed in a single allotment the month you would like to get it. All sizes feature a great variety of different pork products, from retail cuts to fresh sausages to smoked meats, salami, and other charcuterie. Head over to www.shortcreeknh.com/porkcsa for more information or to sign up!
- Sioris Family Farm: Meats are pork, chicken and turkey. Breads, pies and cookies are artisan. Siroisfamilyfarm@ymail.com.
- Stout Oak Farm: Certified Organic, solar powered CSA farm! CSA Options include: Weekly Vegetable Shares, Weekly Greens Boxes, Farm Store Credit Memberships. We also offer Flower Shares, organic Chicken Shares, and organic Egg Shares from Clyde Farm. Pick up at farm in Brentwood.
- Two Toad Farm: Full and half summer Veggie Shares: 15 weeks pick up at the farm in Lebanon, ME $400/$250. Marketshares: shop at any of our markets and get 20% free; Seedling CSA: pre-planned garden, over 400 plants, 5 pick-ups spread throughout the planting season $150.00.
- Vernon Family Farm: We offer year round, debit style CSA which allows you more flexibility in your purchasing. It allows you to purchase what you want, when you want it and you can join at any time. Three share options – $300, $500, $700.
- Wake Robin Farm: We offer summer (18 weeks) and late fall (8 weeks) vegetable shares. Optional add ons to the vegetable share include: eggs, pork, chicken, lamb, cheese, and dairy,