Warmer weather is approaching and I have been finding myself both craving a salad and wanting something filling. This salad is perfect as a stand-alone entrée or as an appetizer/side to any meal. My favorite part about making this was trying to figure out how to make a dairy free feta cheese, I played around with the spices a little (you can too to add your own personal touch). The feta recipe yields more than needed for the salad so you will have some left over for different recipes throughout the week.
Orange and Beet Salad with Dairy-free Feta Serves: 4
- 1 container mixed greens
- 2 precooked beets
- 2 orange
- ¼ red onion chopped in small pieces
- 1 container of oyster mushrooms
- Candied walnuts
- Vegan Feta-as much sprinkle on top as you desire (recipe below)
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Dressing of your choosing
- 14-ounce container of extra firm tofu
- The juice of 2 lemons and 1 lime
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- ½ Teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon dill
- Open a 14-ounce container of extra firm tofu and press the water out using either a tofu press or a heavy object on top of a plate.
- Once the tofu has been pressed chop up into 1 inch squares.
- Put in a bowl and add all the spices (garlic, oregano, thyme, and dill).
- Now add the wet ingredients (lemon and lime juice, water, and apple cider vinegar).
- Place in the refrigerator covered for two hours.
- When the feta is ready, put a pan on the stove top and warm up olive oil.
- Add the chopped mushrooms an onion and cook until tender, set aside to cool.
- In a large salad bowl add the mixed greens.
- Chop two beets and two oranges into bite size pieces and add to the greens.
- Once cooled, add the mushroom and onion mixture.
- Add the walnuts and desired amount of feta over the top.
- Add a dressing of your choosing, I used the left-over liquid from the vegan feta and added olive oil.
- Serve and Enjoy!