These buffalo cauliflower bites are an amazing dupe for buffalo chicken bites and can be adapted to many different recipes or just eaten as an appetizer on their own. In the past I have also made them with teriyaki sauce or barbeque sauce instead of buffalo and they were just as good. Whether you are looking for a unique treat to bring to holiday parties or just a dinner idea for the evening you have to give this a try! If you are looking for a healthier alternative, these can also be baked rather than fried.
- 1 large Cauliflower (or 1 bag frozen cauliflower)
- Panko Bread crumbs
- Almond milk
- Oil to fry (I used canola oil)
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter (I used the vegan butter Earth Balance)
- 3 Tablespoons of a hot sauce of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon Veganaise (egg-free mayonnaise)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- Nutritional yeast or cheese substitute
- (Dairy free) ranch dressing
- Place a frying pan on the stove top half full of an oil of your choosing.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets (small chicken wing or bite size) or take out of the freezer bag.
- If using fresh cauliflower wash off and place on a plate.
- Pour the almond milk and flour into separate bowls.
- Pour the bread crumbs onto a plate.
- Dip the cauliflower into the flour and then into the almond milk.
- Take the cauliflower out of the almond milk and roll it around in the plate with the bread crumbs to get them completely covered.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the remaining cauliflower.
- Heat the oil, to test if ready a great tip is to use the end of a wooden spoon. If bubbles appear around the spoon, the oil is ready.
- Fry the cauliflower in batches, flip once one side is golden brown.
- Place the fried cauliflower on a plate with paper towels or dish towel to absorb oil.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Toss in the buffalo sauce.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter and pour in a bowl.
- Pour the 3 tablespoons of hot sauce, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of Veganaise into the bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the spices and mix well.
- Lay out 2 tortillas.
- Place your desired amount of lettuce, onion and tomato on the tortilla.
- Top with buffalo cauliflower bites.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast or cheese.
- Drizzle dressing over the top.