This is one of my absolute favorite recipes! It tastes like mac ‘n’ cheese, but is just a little less salty and a little more sweet.
This recipe is also incredibly easy and fast–the only part that takes any labor is slicing up the carrots. I highly recommend you give this one a try if you are in the mood for something creamy and comforting, but also healthy!
Makes 4 cups (serves 4)
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 1 ¾ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups orzo pasta (dry)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (you can grate them or cut them into matchsticks)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- feta cheese (optional)
- black pepper to taste
- Combine carrot juice and broth in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low, keeping covered.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add orzo to the skillet and stir slowly until orzo is golden.
- Stir carrots into orzo.
- Add 1 cup of broth mixture to the skillet and stir until absorbed. Continue adding broth mixture, 1 cup at a time until all has been absorbed and orzo is tender.
- Remove skillet from heat and add ½ cup of water. Stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in salt and lemon juice.
- Top with pepper to taste and feta cheese, if you desire.