In the search for a replacement for bacon and sandwich meat, I stumbled upon the idea of carrot bacon. This recipe is very easy and can be modified to create any flavor you are looking for. The carrot bacon is slightly sweet but also crispy and savory. This recipe is what I use to make veggie reubens, but I think it would also be tasty in a faux BLT as well.
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Set the oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- Wash the carrots and peel.
- Cut the tops off the carrots and using a mandoline slice the carrots into thin strips resembling bacon. If you do not have a mandoline, it is a little bit more difficult but you can cut the carrots into strips.
- In a bowl combine the carrots and all other ingredients and mix together until well incorporated and the strips are completely covered in the ingredients.
- In a single layer, line the baking sheet with the “bacon” strips.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until they reach your desired crispiness.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.