UNH junior Katherine Murphy will be working on our SNAP/EBT at Farmers’ Markets program this spring alongside our program coordinator, Caty Wilkey. She will be working on a variety of related projects with low-income populations and access to local food. In particular, she will be assisting with local food rescue initiatives and our gleaning program, as well as meeting with local food pantries to explore a potential farm/pantry partnership program, and will do some nutrition and gardening education with local elementary schools. She brings experience working with low-income populations in Lowell, MA and has been teaching us about projects there. We’re really excited to have her working with Seacoast Eat Local this spring. She has great project ideas and is passionate about eating local!
Let’s get to know Katherine Murphy:
1. Why are you interested in working in local food and agriculture? I was inspired to begin working with local food and agriculture after reading The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan. His book really opened my eyes to the flaws in the modern food industry and how these problems can be avoided by purchasing locally grown foods.
2. What’s the source of your passion? My passion for locally grown foods began when I was very little. My family has a summer house on Windy Meadows Farm in Matunuck, Rhode Island so we’ve always had access to the freshest local foods around. I would love to be able to share that gift with other people.
3. What are your future plans? After I graduate I would love to be able to continue my efforts in helping low income households get nutritious food.
4. Fun fact time! When I was in kindergarten I wanted to be a professional butterfly catcher so I ran around the farm all summer with a bug net until I found out butterflies came from caterpillars. Now I am petrified of all bugs.
5. What’s your favorite food? My favorite food is arugula. I used to hate it and now I can’t get enough!
If you love this work, you can support it with a donation! Donate securely online or mail a check to Seacoast Eat Local to 67 Airport Road, Newington, NH 03801