As a crop that can be found at the market throughout the year, beets can be a great addition to your diet. The entire vegetable can be utilized-as it should be! Both the beetroot and the beet greens contain valuable nutrients that are needed by the body.
Beets come in both a red and golden color, and contain only about 60 calories per 1 cup, 4 grams of fiber, 2.5 grams of protein and contains no fat. The color of vegetables do play a role in nutrients present, but overall beets are rich in folate, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Beets are also rich in minerals such as folate, potassium, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus, among others.
Beets are often enjoyed raw, steamed, roasted, juiced, and may even be used as a healthy alternative in desserts!
Another important part of the beet plant, is in fact the beet greens. The beet greens actually have a higher nutritional value than the beetroot itself, as well as a higher iron content than spinach! The beet greens supply a good amount of protein, phosphorus, zinc, and fiber, vitamin b6, magnesium, manganese, potassium, copper, vitamin A, vitamin C (3.5 ounces supplies 50% of the recommended daily value!), calcium, and vitamin K. The greens are packed with antioxidants.
3.5 ounces (or 100 grams) of beet greens contains 4 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, 0 grams of fat, and only 22 calories.
Beet greens can be served raw in salads, added to smoothies, sautéed, or added to soups.
Below I have included a simple way of preparing the beet, as well as an easy way of preparing the beet greens.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Yields: 6 servings
- 12 beets (red, golden, or both!)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400* F.
- Remove tops and roots of beets, and peel. Cut beets in to 1 ½ inch cubes.
- Place cubed beets onto baking sheet and toss with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Roast beets in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, turning once or twice, until beets are tender.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Sautéed Beet Greens
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 bunches of beet greens, stems removed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring large pot of slightly salted water to boil, add beet greens and cook uncovered for 2 minutes (or until tender).
- Drain in colander and immerse greens into ice cold water, until cooled. Once greens have cooled, drain and chop.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, over medium heat.
- Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the beet greens, and stir until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until beet greens are hot.