Summer squash, zucchini and tomatoes make a perfect addition to any summertime meal. This summer vegetable pasta is a personal favorite go-to dish, regardless of the season (you can easily switch out the vegetables for whatever is in season!) It is super simple, easy to make, takes under 30 minutes from start to finish, and is full of nutrients!
The summer squashes and tomatoes contain large amounts of antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids and many other vitamins and minerals. This meal contains plenty of vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, vitamin C, among many others essentials for maintaining a healthy body! With relatively low calories, good sources of protein, dietary fiber and a delicious taste, this dish is definitely a must try!
Summer Vegetable Pasta
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 10 mins Total Time: 25 mins Makes 4 Servings
- 8 oz. whole wheat penne (or whichever pasta you prefer)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large summer squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook about 7-8 minutes.
- Slice the zucchini and the summer squash in half, lengthwise. Slice each half into ¼ inch slices.
- While pasta is cooking, heat large skillet over high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the zucchini and summer squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook 3-4 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining oil and turn heat down to medium.
- Add garlic, onion and red pepper flakes to skillet and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini and summer squash, parsley and basil and toss together.
- Strain pasta and return to the pot. Add the sautéed vegetables to the pot and toss together.