Mainly known for its beautiful deep purple color and oblong shape, eggplants actually come in variety of shapes and colors. This “king of vegetables” is a staple in the diet of many countries around the world, and is often referred to as “the most versatile and functional foods”.
Eggplant offers many essential nutrients needed by the body. It contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals, as well as phytonutrients such as nasunin and chlorogenic acid that has anti-cancer, LDL-lowering attributes, and helps to support heart health. Eggplants are a rich source of vitamins such as folate, niacin, thiamin, vitamin K, vitamin C, and vitamin A. They also include great sources of minerals including calcium, manganese, magnesium, copper, iron, and phosphorus. All of which play a vital role in healthy body function. But, keep in mind: the majority of these nutrients are found within the skin of the eggplant, so remember to keep the skin on while preparing!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. Tahini
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to high broil.
- Slice eggplant into ¼ inch rounds.
- Arrange eggplant on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sea seat. Roast for 5-10 minutes, turning once, until eggplant is softened and golden brown.
- Place eggplant in food processor.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and pinch of sea salt. Mix until creamy.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 14oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1-2 cups cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice eggplant into discs. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange eggplant on baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn eggplant and add tomato paste, fire-roasted tomatoes, Italian seasoning and cheese.
- Bake of an additional 10 minutes.