Here’s an opportunity to help a new small farm get off the ground!(Pun 100% intended).
Heading into our first season, we are looking for a Farm Assistant who is excited about helping start a new farm business. We are located across the street from a horse stable, just 3 miles from the University of New Hampshire in Madbury. Our plan is to cultivate 1 acre to grow a variety of fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers using organic practices. We intend to raise bees, chicken for eggs and meat, and fish (in a greenhouse). We wish to start a small CSA and run a roadside farm stand.
The Farm Assistant will participate in all aspects of running a small, diversified vegetable farm. The Farm Assistant will work closely with farmer/owners throughout the year. This is a part-time, year round position. 15-20 hours per week (schedule is flexible and will fluctuate throughout the year). This position is structured to accommodate additional employment elsewhere. Ideal start date is April 2014, but is flexible.
Aiding owners with the establishment and maintenance of a small farm including:
- Assembling a geodesic dome greenhouse
- Constructing raised beds
- Small building projects
- Installing fencing
- Weeding, watering, and harvesting in the gardens
- Other general farm chores
During off-season months, the Farm Assistant will aid owners in:
- General maintenance and operations of the greenhouse including weeding, watering and harvesting vegetables, and care of the aquaculture tank
- Processing garden produce for winter storage
- Odd jobs in the farmhouse, such as carpentry, painting, and cleaning
- Basic carpentry skills a must
- Experience with equipment, tractor implements, and building
- Able to lift 50 lbs, perform strenuous physical tasks, and willingness to work in all types of weather
- Farming experience preferred, but not necessary
- Strong work ethic, fast learner, and ability to anticipate and take initiative
- Ability to work quickly and carefully
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Open to working with dogs and farm animals
The Farm Assistant will receive a modest monthly stipend, on-farm housing in the farmhouse, free laundry, internet, and phone (for domestic calls only), an abundance of fresh vegetables, meat and eggs when available.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume including previous carpentry/building experience, and a list of three references to Jennifer (firstname.lastname@example.org).