CSA Days are back at the Winter Farmers’ Market!
CSA Days at the Seacoast Eat Local Winter Farmers’ Market in February will help you navigate the world of Community Supported Agriculture in 2014 — join us at Exeter High School on Saturday, February 8th, and Wentworth Greenhouses in Rollinsford on February 22nd, and discover the CSA right for you!
Head to our CSA Page to learn more about the farms participating this year and see our tips for finding the right CSA to meet your local food needs. Then come to the Winter Farmers’ Market to learn about the many styles offered including traditional boxed shares, credit based shares, and local delivery or on farm pick-up options. Seacoast Eat Local has brought together farms offering spring/summer, fall or year round CSA options from conventional, organic and even horse powered farms in New Hampshire and Maine. These assorted CSA offerings include vegetable or meat shares, with available add-ons such as eggs, dairy, and fresh-baked bread.
CSA Farms at Exeter High School on February 8th include Applecrest Farm, Brandmoore Farm, Brookford Farm, Heron Pond Farm, Meadow’s Mirth, Mildred’s Drumlin Farm, Orange Circle Farm, Red Manse Farm, Saddleback Mountain Farm, Stout Oak Farm, Wild Miller Gardens, and Willow Pond Community Farm. Check out our SEL Blog for features on many of the CSA farms joining us this year.
About the Location: Exeter High School is located at 315 Epping Road, Exeter, NH. The school has ample parking but markets are more fun with friends, so call yours up and set up a carpool! Here’s a map!
February 8th Winter Farmers’ Market Highlights
• Food of the Day: Turnips! Never turn down a good turnip! Whether you learned to cook with these tasty root crops from Grandma, or have never tried one before, come to the market for inspiration and a little education on these crunchy treats. Check out our Recipe page for culinary inspiration using all of our featured market vegetables. Turnip & Rutabaga Soup sounds delicious with the cold weather we’ve been having, or perhaps you want to go raw with the Turnip, Apple & Carrot Salad! See our Pinterest recipes for even more ideas.
• Cooking Skills Series: This Saturday’s demonstration features raw foods for winter. Enjoy fresh market veggies packed full of live enzymes and wholesome nutrients. Eating healthy never tasted to good!
• Live music: We are excited to welcome back Jeff Warner for your listening pleasure at the market!
• Food donations: Students from Exeter High School will be at the market this week collecting food donations for St. Vincent’s food pantry. Your combined efforts at previous markets have helped put dozens of food baskets into the hands of those in need. Please continue to ensure local food is for everyone and support this worthy cause.
• Composting at the market: Mr. Fox Composting will be continuing our ongoing partnership, collecting compostable material throughout the market season and educating attendees on the value and importance of closing the waste stream loop.
Use SNAP and Debit Cards at the Market
All vendors at the Winter Farmers’ Markets accept SNAP/EBT! Visit the booth with the “Buy Your Tokens Here” sign to get started. Through Seacoast Eat Local’s Market Match program, receive up to an additional $10 free to buy fruits and vegetables! Debit cards can also be used to purchase tokens that can be used just like cash at the markets, too! Learn more about how this program works at our website. This program is made possible through your generous donations, a partnership with Wholesome Wave, and founding and ongoing support from funds of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation.
Show your support for local food and volunteer
Whether you are looking to be involved in the community, shop locally, eat more regionally grown and seasonal foods, or just get out and make new friends, be part of the growing movement and get involved with the SEL Winter Farmers’ Market during CSA Days! We look for a morning crew of at least 10 volunteers to help with market set-up (assist with vendor parking, helping unload vendor vehicles, and moving tables). We also need 7-8 friendly and outgoing foodies to help at our information booth and around the market. Even if you can’t make it to help at this market, sign up now to volunteer at a future market and we’ll send you friendly reminders as the date nears. Contact: Leo Smock-Randall, email@example.com.
Thank-you to our Market Sponsors
Seacoast Eat Local’s Winter Farmers Markets are made possible with the generous support of our market sponsors — The Farm at Eastman’s Corner, Season Underwriter; Wentworth Greenhouses, Exeter Hospital, The Black Birch, and Blue Moon Yoga, Market Underwriters; Moxy Restaurant, Cooking Skills Series Sponsor; BCM Environmental & Land Law, CSA Day Sponsor; and Bikram Yoga, Market Day Sponsor for February 8th.
Nourish your body, your friendships and the local agricultural community, shop at the Seacoast Eat Local Winter Farmers’ Market! For more information: www.seacoasteatlocal.org.