The New Hampshire House Environment and Agriculture Subcommittee have been meeting every Tuesday since August 13th to study whether or not to require labeling foods that contain genetically modified organisms (GMO’s), and to hear the testimony of national experts. Now is time for them to hear the voices of their constituents! From NOFA-NH:
Please call or write the members of the Agriculture Subcommittee by Monday, October 7th. Let them know you support HB 660, requiring the labeling of food produced with genetic engineering.
• Peter Bixby (D- Sub-Committee Chair-Cheshire – Dist 1, Dover): 749-5659, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Scott Burns (D- Merrimack Dist. 2, Franklin): 203-7727, email@example.com
• Alan Turcotte (D- Merrimack Dist. 22, Allenstown): 485-2349, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Wayne Moynihan (D-Committee V-Chair, Coos Dist. 2, Dummer): 449-2058, email@example.com
• Bob Haefner (R-Hillsborough Dist. 37, Hudson): 889-1553, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Jane Johnson (R-Cheshire Dist. 12, Swanzey): 352-4057, email@example.com
• Linda Lauer (D -Grafton Dist. 15, Bath): 747-4001, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tara Sad (D-Committee Chair- Cheshire Dist 1, Walpole): 756-4861, email@example.com
• Lisa Whittermore (D-Rockingham Dist. 5, Londonderry): 434-0382, firstname.lastname@example.org
GMO Labeling “Talking Points”:
If you are a consumer:
• I am careful about what I eat and feed my family/kids.
• I read labels when deciding what to eat/feed my family.
• I would prefer to know how much GMO content I eat/feed my children.
• I have a right to know how the food I buy for my family was produced.
If you are a small farmer or food processor:
• HB 660 would not regulate or affect New Hampshire agriculture
• Most crops grown in New Hampshire and sold as human food are not genetically modified.
• Labels allow consumers to make informed choices about what they buy.
• New Hampshire’s thriving local food economy would only benefit from Right to Know GMO Labeling.
For more information and to follow HB-660: http://nofanh.org/farming/policy/gmolabeling/