Eating local is a choice, but it’s not always an easy one. The grocery store provides a one-stop shop for everything you could possibly need in tidy little precut, preprocessed, precooked packages. But eating locally requires some planning, knowledge and commitment. This cooking class will guide you through how to buy, store, and prepare local food, where to get it, and how to connect with farmers. Topics include:
• Fermenting foods: How to make homemade sauerkraut
• How to make your own soft farmer’s cheese
• New ideas for herb infused vinegars
• Baking your own bread with a sourdough starter
• How to debone a chicken (everyone needs to know!)
• Tips for preserving food through dehydration: solar vs electric, freezing, canning, etc and when to do it!
We will also provide you with a guide on where to get everything from local fish, grains, oil, beans and more things that might surprise you.
Cooking & Wellness Class: April 29 ($45)
For more information: www.foodandhealthforum.com