Seacoast Eat Local is seeking a new Market Manager for our Winter Farmers’ Market — if interested, the application deadline is September 20th!
Seacoast Eat Local is seeking an individual with strong interest in and knowledge of local food systems and agriculture tobe on-site point person during the Seacoast Eat Local Winter Farmers’ Markets. This position ensures communication and organization between the host sites, the volunteer staff, vendors, and consumers. The Market Manager will work independently and report to the Market Coordinator and the Seacoast Eat Local Winter Market Committee, carry out goals and objectives while keeping with the core values of the organization.
Seacoast Eat Local connects people with sources of locally grown foods and advocates eating locally for the health of our environment, community, culture and economy. Through advocacy, organizing and education, we work toward a sustainable local food system that meets the needs of both producers and consumers.
- Assist in ensuring smooth operations at the market
- Act as liaison between vendors, volunteers, and customers during each market
- Understand and implement market layout for each market
- Communicate with host site about logistical issues on market days (snow, parking, electricity, etc.)
- Serve as day-of point of contact for customer and vendor feedback and inquiries
- Ensure vendors follow market rules and address violations in a timely and tactful manner
- Management and orientation of volunteer staff during market
- Management and implementation of volunteer based activities during market (kids’ table, cooking demo)
- Manage vendor clean up crew
- Collect any outstanding stall fees
- Ensure parking/unloading is organized and efficient
- Give pre-market briefing to vendors about all market events such as food pantries, nonprofits, demos, kids’ tables, featured vegetables, other SEL projects
- Communicate frequently during market season with Market Coordinator concerning vendor issues and other market logistics
- Attend Winter Farmers’ Market Committee meetings as requested
- Must possess a passion for local food
- 16-20 hours per month
- Training in October 2012 with start date in November 2012
- Hours will include Saturday mornings on market days (7am-3pm, November through April) and some weekday work based on needs
- Saturday market operates Nov 17; Dec 1, 8, 22; Jan 12, 26; Feb 9, 23; March 16, 23; April 13. Attendance at all markets is required.
- Requires ability to lift weight up to 25 pounds
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with a wide range of people in the community
- Understanding of basic accounting principles and ability to manage, track and analyze data
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to manage conflict
- Reliable transportation required
- Computer skills required: experience with email, Google Docs, Manage My Market: a plus
- Self-starter and punctual
Performance Evaluation Criteria
The Market Manager will be evaluated according to his/her effectiveness in carrying out specific job responsibilities and achievement of established program and individual goals.
Seacoast Eat Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and brief cover letter to Kate Donald at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is September 20, 2012.