With the arrival of spring, it’s time to get your garden started! Buying locally-produced seeds and plants, and knowing where they come from helps to ensure the health of your garden. Here are just some of the many local sources for seeds, seedlings, classes and advice on offer this season:
Seeds and Seedlings
- Seacoast Eat Local will be selling High Mowing Organic Seeds at the Indoor Farmers’ Market on Saturday, March 24th, at the Wentworth Greenhouses in Rollinsford — sow some seeds to help support the market!
- New Roots Farm is taking pre-orders on a wide range of certified organic seedlings, including 24 varieties of tomatoes. Deadline for pre-orders is May 1st; pick-up at the farm is Sunday May 20th or May 27th, or by appointment. For a list and order form: www.newrootsfarm.com
- Stout Oak Farm is also taking pre-orders on spring seedlings. Deadline for pre-orders is April 1st, with pick-up at the farm in late May. Visit their website for a list of 25+ varieties and order form: www.stoutoakfarm.com
Gardening Workshops and Classes
- March 15: Master Tomato Class at Wentworth Greenhouses, 11 a.m.–12 p.m. All you ever wanted to know about growing tomatoes. Free and open to the public, call to reserve a seat: www.wentworthgreenhouses.com
- April 5: Grow Your Own Organic Garden! 6–9 p.m. at Kittery Adult Education; sponsored by MOFGA, with Rick and Marilyn Stanley of Chick Farm. For details and registration: http://kittery.maineadulted.org/
- April 7: Dealing with Garden Pests the Sustainable Way with Eric Sideman, 9:30 a.m.– 12 noon at the Portsmouth Public Library, sponsored by PSI as part of their Spring Gathering: www.the psi.net
- April 7: Organic Gardening Workshop: Seed Starting at Stout Oak Farm, 1–3 p.m. The first of a series of organic gardening workshops, including planning your vegetable garden, organic gardening practical skills, and making the most of your herb garden. For details and registration: www.stoutoakfarm.com
- Garen’s Greens at Riverside Farm is offering home garden coaching this spring. Email email@example.com for price quote and more information.
- New Roots Farm is offering garden consulting to help with planning, soil health, and other topics. Call 603.770.4125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.