Our next Winter Farmers’ Market is on Saturday, February 25th, inside the Wentworth Greenhouses in Rollinsford, NH, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. A full list of the 50+ participating farmer and food producers, and the products they will be selling can be found at www.seacoasteatlocal.org.
As we near the end of February, we are gaining just under 3 minutes of daylight each day. By Saturday, we’ll be up to 10h 59m 24s. Winter greens thrive on these lengthening days. If you have yet to give winter spinach a try, be sure to pick up a bag this week. It’s sweet and tender, and very delicious. You’ll also find plenty of other greens, including salad mix, several types of kale, bok choy, microgreens, and beet greens. There are also carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, winter squash, beets, turnips, rutabagas, and cabbage.
Lengthening daylight also brings an abundance of eggs. Locally raised eggs are amazingly delicious and full of flavor, nutritionally dense, and come from chickens raised humanely. Farmers are happy to talk about their growing practices, be sure to ask if you have questions.
There will also be beef, pork, chicken, lamb, and goat as well as milk, yogurt, cheeses, breads, cookies, spices, granola, soups, stews, prepared meals, pastas, and more savory treats.
CSA Day at the Market
The Winter Farmers’ Market on February 25th will also feature the opportunity to learn more about Community Supported Agriculture in the Seacoast area and speak directly with CSA farmers. 14 CSA Farms will be in atttendence, ready to answer questions and describe their CSA in detail.
Community Supported Agriculture offers a terrific way for people to get a steady supply of local food directly from the producers while creating a relationship of mutual support between farmer and eater. There are a lot of diverse options for pick-up locations, share structures, available foods, and farm involvement. Come to CSA Day to find the right option for you!
Activities at the Market
- Cooking demonstration and book signing with Kathy Gunst, author of Notes from a Maine Kitchen
- Free kids activity with Strafford County 4-H will keep them entertained while you shop
- Live music by Mike & Mike
- Food donations will also be collected by the Community Food Pantry of Somersworth — consider buying something fresh to help those in need.
- Wentworth Greenhouses: Located at 141 Rollins Road, Rollinsford, NH, just 1 mile past Red’s Shoe Barn of Dover. For map >
- Market Shuttle: Easy parking, with a free shuttle van running continuously from additional parking provided by Salmon Falls Stoneware, 75 Oak Street in Dover, around the corner from the Wentworth Greenhouses.
- Online Resources: View a full list of market vendors, search for available food, or check our interactive market maps to see which vendor will be attending a particular market
- SNAP & Debit Tokens: SNAP (foodstamps) can now be used at the winter farmers’ market — SNAP customers swipe their EBT cards at the market info booth, and then use tokens to shop with approved vendors. Help us spread the word about this important new project to provide access to wholesome foods to people of all incomes. Debit card customers can also purchase tokens to be used with all vendors. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Partial funding for this project provided by the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation.
For more information: www.seacoasteatlocal.org
See you at the market February 25th!