“Pricing for Profits” Workshop
UNH Cooperative Extension
Portsmouth Country Club, 80 Country Club Lane, Greenland, NH
Friday October 28, 2011
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
How much should I sell my tomatoes for? Is the price of my blueberries too low? What other farms are charging? “These are questions growers ask me every season” said Nada Haddad, UNH Cooperative Extension Educator, Agricultural Resources with Rockingham County.
Indeed pricing farm products for retail sales can be a difficult even for experiences growers. Yet this challenge is an important component of an effective marketing strategy. Pricing decisions must take into account all expenses and relate to market preparation and distribution channels, competition, farm image, branding and communicating the value of the product.
This workshop will get you ready to establish a market pricing for next season. Speakers from New England will discuss the following:
• “How Many Markets Channels Do You Sell At? Are They Performing Equally Well?” Matt Leroux, Cornell Cooperative Extension.
• “Selling Farm Produce in Different Venues,” Richard Bonanno with Pleasant Valley Garden, Massachusetts
• “CSA, Cut Flowers, Weddings and Chickens – How Do They Fit All Together?” Stacey Brenner with Broadturn Farm, Maine
• “Branding Your Business,” Robin Chesmer with the Farmer’s Cow, Connecticut; Crop Revenue Insurance with Shelby Colwell
Speakers from the UNH Cooperative Extension:
• “Determining Your Bottom Line: Costs and Your Time,” Mike Sciabarrasi, Business Management Specialist
• “The Price Tag,” Nada Haddad, Agriculture Extension Educator
• “Got Ideas You Want to Explore?” Margaret Hagen, Agriculture Extension Educator
Registration cost: $20.00 per person. Late or “at-door” registration : $25.00. Registration includes lunch and hand-out materials. Lunch and hand-out materials cannot be guaranteed with late or “at-door” registrations.
The workshop is sponsored by the UNH Cooperative Extension with support from USDA Risk Management Agency.
Contact: Nada Haddad, (603) 679-5616 or Nada.Haddad@unh.edu
For more information: www.extension.unh.edu