This year’s Down-on-the-Farm Summer Picnic, Slow Food Seacoast’s annual event, is taking place at Touching Earth Farm in Kittery, ME, this Sunday, July 24th, from 11:30–3:30. Gather up the kids, bring your summer houseguests, and join in a fun-filled day to celebrate summer!
Down-on-the-Farm Summer Picnic
Slow Food Seacoast
Touching Earth Farm, 22 Stevenson Road, Kittery, ME
Sunday, July 24, 2011
11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Celebrate the diversity of summer (and our 5th birthday) with Slow Food! This year we will be hosted by Touching Earth Farm—a diverse farming operation that is only in its third year but whose CSA has already grown to supply 75 families. Activities will include:
• Farm tour with Touching Earth farmer Suddhayu Shafer
• Wild Plant and Herb Walk with Touching Earth herbalist Lona Kovacs
• Save-your-own-heirloom seeds workshop with John Forti
• Heirloom produce tasting with Evan Mallett of Black Trumpet Bistro
• Creating artwork with natural plant dyes
• Kids’ games and family crafts
• Meet and talk with folks from many Seacoast partner organizations, and pick-up your copy of the 2011 Seacoast Harvest Local Food Guide
What to Bring:
– Slow Food requests a $5 fee per adult; children are free.
– Each family-group should also bring a labeled potluck dish made using at least one local ingredient with serving utensils to complete the price of admission.
– To minimize cleanup time and waste, please BYO mess kit (plate, bowl, cup, cutlery, & napkin).
– Lawn chairs, picnic blanket, beverages, and bug repellent are also recommended.
Touching Earth Farm is located in a suburban setting so parking is limited. What better reason to carpool with a friend!
We are always grateful for extra hands to lighten the workload of running an event. If interested please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information: www.slowfoodseacoast.org