As reported by the UNH Cooperative Extension, “Eighty people showed up June 11 at Gordon and Marion Jones’s farm in Chichester for a first-of-its kind, hands-on Extension workshop, where they killed, cleaned, and defeathered their own chickens under the watchful eyes of veteran instructors.” The demand for the class was high, and two more classes have been scheduled for September. Special thanks to Dot Perkins for making this workshop happen, to Victor Huse for sharing his knowledge, and to the Joneses, who graciously hosted and aided in guiding those of us at the initial class in June—I highly recommend that couples sign up for individual chickens rather than sharing!
Backyard Homesteading: Chicken-Butchering Workshop
UNH Cooperative Extension
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Two (2-hour) hands-on workshops: 8 – 10 AM & 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
• Who should come? Anyone considering or already raising chickens for meat.
• What will you learn? How to kill, de-feather, and process a chicken in a humane and efficient manner.
• What will you do? You’ll receive a live chicken to dispatch, pluck, and process yourself. You’ll leave the workshop with practical skills, self-confidence and a chicken for your Sunday dinner.
• Who instructs? Long-time professional backyard-livestock slaughterer/butcher, Victor Huse, and Dot Perkins from UNH Cooperative Extension.
• What’s the cost? $50 (covers the cost of one live chicken). Pre-registration and a $35.00 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your spot as space will be strictly limited. The balance ($15) is due on the day of the workshop.
• What else? Participants should bring a cooler with ice, wear closed-toe shoes and clothes that can get soiled and wet. Please do not bring children or pets.
Make checks payable to: UNH Cooperative Extension and mail to: Mary West, UNH Cooperative Extension, 315 Daniel Webster Highway, Boscawen, NH 03303. Farm directions will be given upon payment. For more information or to register: Call Mary at 603-796-2151, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our June 11th Chicken Butchering workshop filled up fast! Don’t delay — call today!